• The Chairperson shall read the item to be presented for hearing.
• The Commission’s staff shall then present factual information pertaining to the submitted request. This shall be followed by the recommendation of the Northern Kentucky Area Planning Commission (NKAPC), along with supporting information and comprehensive plan documentation. Members and legal counsel may then question NKAPC representatives regarding its factual information or recommendation.
• The Chairperson shall then request all individuals who wish to speak to identify themselves and state if they support, oppose, or are neutral regarding the proposed change. Only those individuals who have registered to speak shall be allowed to comment.
• The Chairperson shall then call on the applicant to present the request. The applicant’s presentation shall be limited to 30 minutes unless additional time is permitted by the Chairperson. Other proponents may address the Commission following the applicant’s presentation.
• The Chairperson shall then call on opponents to present their case. Opponents shall be encouraged to select a spokesperson to present group concerns; group spokespersons shall be given the first opportunities to speak to the Commission. The Chairperson may rule out of order speakers who present redundant arguments and/or who speak simply to express a personal opposition to the proposal.
• The Chairperson shall then provide five minutes for the applicant to summarize the case. The Chairperson shall provide a final five minutes for all opponents to summarize their case.
• After all evidence is heard, and when there are no further questions from members or comments from staff, the Chairperson shall close the hearing and call for action by the Commission.
Rules of Order
Meetings of the Commission should be businesslike and efficient, lasting no more than is necessary to conduct the business included on the agenda. The tone shall be one of mutual respect. Decisions are made by a majority vote of Commission members.